Bury St Edmunds is an important and historic market town which grew up around the Abbey and Suffolk's only Cathedral. The town centre and bus station are ½ mile from the railway station.
Bury St Edmunds is a good place to stay for exploring the area by public transport, with direct trains to Cambridge, Ely, Ipswich, Newmarket and Stowmarket. There are buses to nearby Ickworth and the picturesque village of Lavenham. The historic city of Norwich can be reached by changing trains at Stowmarket.
Public transport in Suffolk: www.suffolkonboard.com
TI 6 Angel Hill. Tel. 01284 764667.
Accommodation in Bury St Edmunds (with distance from station):
The history of West Suffolk from prehistoric times to the present day. Displays
feature coinage, crime and punishment, social history and the Suffolk Regiment.
Tel. 0128 757160.
Open M-S 1000-1700, Sun 1200-1600.
Extensive remains of the wealthiest and most powerful Benedictine monastery in
England, including the 14th century Great Gate and Norman Tower. Abbey gardens.
Tel. 01284 764667.
Open Daily 0900-2000 (1630 Nov-Mar).
Displays cover the history of brewing using traditional methods.
See website for details of Brewery tours. Tel. 0128 714382.
Open M-S 1030-1630.
The only surviving Regency playhouse in Britain. See website for details of guided tours.
Tel. 01284 769505.
Open please see NT website.
Websites: www.nationaltrust.org.uk | www.theatreroyal.org (performances)
A grand place with an impressive central Rotunda housing treasures from tours around Europe
in the 18th century. Italianate garden, parkland, servants' basement. Restaurant and Café.
Tel. 01284 735270.
Open Daily 1100-1600 (1500 Nov-Feb). Limited access during House conservation work, see website.
Bus 14/15 from Bus Station (½ mile) to near entrance in village of Horringer, then ¾ mile walk to House. 7 minutes journey, M-S every 1-2 hours. Operated by Stephensons. Note that the bus shelter for the return journey is set back from the road and hidden by trees.
The National Trust has a selection of holiday cottages in Suffolk, including some on the Ickworth Estate:
Created from a former sand and gravel extraction site, the lakes, pools, woodland and grassland support
a great variety of birds and other wildlife including otters. Visitor Centre and bird-watching hides.
Suffolk Wildlife Trust tel. 01473 890089.
Open Visitor Centre WThFSSu & BH 1000-1700 (1600 Nov-Mar), Reserve Daily dawn-dusk.
Bus 16 from Rail Station to Lackford then ½ mile (using footpath passing church), 15 minutes journey, M-S hourly. Operated by Stephensons.
The Anglo-Saxon village has been carefully reconstructed where it was excavated. A museum displays objects
found during the excavation and tells the story of the settlememt. The adjacent Country Park has nature trails
and bird-watching hides. Café. Tel. 01284 728718.
Open Daily 1000-1700 (1600 in winter).
Bus 16 from Rail Station to Lackford then 1 mile, 15 minutes journey, M-S hourly. Operated by Stephensons.
At the heart of the attractive village of Lavenham, the timber-framed Guildhall of Corpus Christi
tells the stories of Lavenham and the Guild. Lavenham was one of the wealthiest towns in Tudor England
and it is remarkably well-preserved with over 300 buildings of historic interest. Tearoom.
Guided walks and talks in summer (see website). Tel. 01787 247646.
Open Mar-Oct, Daily 1000-1700. Nov-Feb, MFSSu 1100-1600.
Bus 753 from Bus Station (½ mile) to Lavenham, Swan (33 minutes journey), M-S only, hourly. Operated by Chambers. Bus 753 also operates from Sudbury.
One of the oldest buildings in Lavenham, this 14th century house was built by a family
of clothiers. It was restored in the 1930s by the Gayer-Anderson twin brothers who filled it
with art and artefacts collected during their travels. Traditional English walled garden.
Tel. 01787 247019.
Open Apr-Oct, TWThSSu & BH 1400-1730.
Bus as for Lavenham Guildhall above.
Melford Hall has had a varied history with its architecture and furnishings charting the changing
tastes and fashions of successive generations. It remains a welcoming family home today beside the village green.
The contents include naval paintings and Beatrix Potter sketches. Edwardian style garden. Parkland.
Tearoom, picnics may be taken on the lawn. Tel. 01787 379228.
Open Apr-Oct, WThFSSu 1300-1700.
Bus 753 from Bus Station (½ mile) to Long Melford, Bull (53 minutes journey) then ¼ mile walk, M-S only, hourly. Operated by Chambers. Traveline tel. 0871 200 2233.
Bus 753 also operates from Sudbury.
Kentwell has been a family home for over 500 years and remains so today after extensive restoration.
The extensive gardens include some striking topiary. Rare Breed Farm. Events programme.
Tel. 01787 310207.
Open Apr-Sep, please see website for days and times.
Bus as for Melford Hall above but 1¼ miles walk.