An ancient market town, Thetford was once the capital of East Anglia. Now it is a busy industrial town but it still has a small market on Tuesday and Saturday. Castle Hill is England's tallest medieval earthwork. There are attractive gardens beside the river and behind King's House in King Street.
TI Leaping Hare, 20 King St. Tel. 01842 751975.
Accommodation in Thetford (with distance from station):
The ruins of a 12th century priory. Later structures, such as the gatehouse, still stand intact. Admission free.
Open Daily 0800-1600 (1800 Apr-Sep).
A timber-framed Tudor merchant's house with a fine carved ceiling housing a museum which tells
the story of Thetford and the Brecks. Local people from Thetford's past include the revolutionary philosopher
Thomas Paine and the Sikh hero Maharajah Duleep Singh.
Open TWThFS 1000-1600.
The ruined nave of a priory church of the Canons of the Holy Sepulchre. Admission free.
Open closed for conservation.
Thetford was home to the world renowned Burrell's steam traction engines. This museum in the
former paintshop tells the story of the Charles Burrell Works and the machinery they produced.
Open please see website.
The popular 'Dad's Army' series was filmed in and around Thetford which became 'Walmington-on-Sea'.
Memorabilia of the series is housed in the Old Fire Station behind the Guildhall, the building
itself featured in several episodes as the Town Hall. Tours available. Tearoom.
Open Apr-Oct, Sat 1000-1500 but please check website.
The grounds of the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) include the Nunnery Gardens which
show how wildlife friendly features can be incorporated into an existing garden.
A wildflower meadow has also been established and this is at its best from late May to July.
Admission free. An information leaflet about the Gardens is available from BTO Reception.
Open M-F 0900-1700. Closed SSu.
This British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) reserve includes a range of wildlife habitats such as
woodland, alder carr, heath grassland and reclaimed gravel pits. Observation hide. Admission free.
An information leaflet about the Reserve is available from BTO Reception (open M-F).
Open Daily dawn-dusk, BTO Reception open M-F 0900-1700.