Twickenham is a leafy suburban town on the Thames, famous for its large rugby Stadium. Many 18th century buildings survive in the historic riverside area, ½ mile from the station. It is a pleasant 2 mile walk along the Thames Path to Richmond, passing Orleans House Gallery and near Marble Hill House (see St Margarets station). York House Gardens are open to the public with a bridge over the riverside road linking the two parts, the section near the Thames includes a dramatic arrangement of Naked Ladies statues around a cascade. York House is used as council offices.
Complete London bus network
with enlarged central area.
pdf download only £1
printed version £2 post free in UK
The large Twickenham Stadium is the home of England Rugby and the Museum has a large collection of rugby memorabilia.
Stadium Tours are available too. Tel. 020 8892 8877.
Open TWThFS 1000-1700, Sun 1100-1700.
The museum tells the story of the important part Eel Pie Island Hotel played in the British Blues Explosion of the 1960s,
kick starting the careers of many musicians including The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton and Rod Stewart.
Also covered are the Island's historic boatyards and resident Trevor Baylis, inventor of the wind-up radio.
Open ThFSSu 1200-1800.
A small museum covering the history of Twickenham and the local area including
Teddington, Whitton and the Hamptons. Tel. 020 8408 0070. Admission free.
Open Tue & Sat 1100-1500. Sun 1400-1600.
An art gallery in the remains of Orleans House, including the unusual Octagon room.
Stables Gallery and Café. Exhibitions programme. Tel. 020 8831 6000. Admission free.
Open TWThFSSu & BH 1000-1700.
Orleans House Gallery is also ¾ mile from St Margarets station.