The Royal town of Windsor is dominated its historic Castle. Windsor's two stations are both close to the town centre and attractions. Central station has trains from Slough with connections from London Paddington. Riverside station has trains from London Waterloo. The large original Central station is now the Windsor Royal Shopping centre with Tourist Information in the old booking office, trains now use a single platform on the north side. The Changing the Guard ceremony takes place within the Castle grounds but the band can be seen marching along the High Street about 1100, for dates please see the Household Division website. Just across the Thames is Eton, famous for its school, Eton College. Boat trips operate along the Thames.
TI Royal Windsor Shopping, tel. 01753 743900.
Windsor Castle is the Queen's official residence and favourite weekend home. It is the oldest and
largest occupied castle in the world. The visitor route covers the magnificent State Apartments, Drawings Gallery,
Queen Mary's Dolls' House and St George's Chapel. Guided tours of the Precincts are available.
The richly-decorated Semi-State Rooms are open during winter months.
Open Mar-Oct, Daily 0930-1730, last admission 1600. Nov-Feb, Daily 0945-1615, last admission 1500. St George's Chapel is closed to visitors on Sunday. As a working palace the Castle is closed frequently for functions, sometimes at short notice, please check the website before visiting.
Changing the Guard for dates and times see www.changing-guard.com
Housed in the historic Guildhall, the museum tells the story of Windsor and its people.
Tel. 01628 685686.
Open TWThFS 1000-1600, Sun & BH 1200-1600.
The tree-lined Long Walk extends nearly 2½ miles south to the impressive Copper Horse
statue at the top of Snow Hill where there are good views. Deer roam in the quieter parts of the Great Park.
Windsor Great Park covers an extensive area and the southern part includes the Savill Garden, Valley Gardens and Virginia Water -
to visit these see Virginia Water station.
Tel. 01753 860222. Admission free.
Open Daily dawn-dusk.
Opened in 1875 to house the Thackeray Collection of British Birds, the museum has
an extensive collection of animal, plant and fossil specimens used for teaching biology and geology.
Displays also cover the work of Charles Darwin and Joseph Banks. Tel. 01753 370602. Admission free.
Open Sun 1430-1700.
Many themed rides and attractions for children aged 3 to 12 years. Restaurants.
Tel. 01753 626182.
Open Easter-Oct, MThFSSu (daily Jun-Aug) 1000-1700 (1800 SSu).
Bus from Thames Street (¼ mile from stations) to entrance, 15 minutes journey. For details please see www.firstgroup.com and www.courtneybuses.com.