Hassocks is a village at the foot of the South Downs with the South Downs Way LDP 1¾ miles
from the station. Butcher's Wood (¼ mile) is owned by the
Woodland Trust and open to the public.
While walking to the windmills and South Downs look at the ornate entrance to Clayton Tunnel, a Victorian folly
built to satisfy the local landowner.
An internationally important collection of work by local artists and craftspeople, including the sculptor,
engraver and type-designer Eric Gill, calligrapher Edward Johnston (responsible for the London Underground Johnston typeface),
painter David Jones, printer Hilary Pepler and weaver Ethel Mairet. Exhibitions programme. Café.
Open ThFSSu 1030-1700, also Wed 1030-1300.
One of a pair of windmills known as 'Jack and Jill' on the South Downs above Clayton village.
Jill Windmill is a 19th century corn windmill which has been fully restored to working order and is open to visitors.
There are spectacular views of the Sussex Weald. Tea shop. Admission by donation.
Please note that the adjacent Jack Windmill is not open to the public.
Open May-Sep, Sun 1400-1700. Please check website to confirm.
The last part of the walk is steeply uphill as you climb onto the South Downs - pause and look back to admire the excellent view towards Hassocks, Keymer and Ditchling. Beware that paths on the chalky soil may be slippery after wet weather.