Before the harbour silted up Sandwich was an important Cinque Port on the River Stour. Now the sea is 1¾ miles away at Sandwich Bay. Sandwich is pronounced 'San(d)-witch' (the 'd' is almost silent).
TI Guildhall. Tel. 01304 613565.
The story of Sandwich from medieval times with artifacts dating back to the early 13th century.
The Guildhall itself is open by appointment for guided tours only.
Tel. 01304 617197.
Open Apr-Oct, TWThFSSu 1400-1600, also TWFS 1030-1230.
Restored Jekyll and Lutyens designed gardens. Tearoom.
Tel. 01304 619919.
Open Daily 1000-1700, closes 1600 Oct-Mar.
A 13 acre reserve with 1½ miles of paths through a variety of habitats including lakes, reedbeds
and a meadow area. Public hide. Admission free. Tel. 01304 617197.
Open Any reasonable time.
A restored windmill with original machinery. Cottage with rooms furnished in period style.
Agricultural displays, forge, wheelwrights shop and corn grinding engine.
Open TFSu 1000-1200, also Easter-mid Sept, Su & BH 1430-1630.
The remains of a Roman fort which was the main landing place for the Roman invasion of AD43.
Site museum with archaeological finds on display, including an early Christian font.
Tel. 01304 612013.
Open Apr-Oct, Daily 1000-1800 (1700 in Oct). Nov-Mar, SSu 1000-1600.