Gravesend is a town on the River Thames with three piers and a ferry across to Tilbury,
mostly from Town Pier but sometimes from West Pier.
Gordon Promenade is a good place to watch shipping on the Thames. Gravesend was the burial place in 1617 of Princess Pocahontas,
a Native American who travelled to England and married an Englishman, her statue stands in St George's churchyard.
Milton Chantry has a 14th century roof and has seen many uses: originally a hospital, later a chantry chapel,
pub, barracks and wartime gas decontamination chamber. Displays on the history of the building and Gravesend.
The adjacent New Tavern Fort was built to defend the Thames in the 1780s and was used up to the Second World War.
Its grounds are now Fort Gardens and open to the public, the underground structures are open at times for a small fee.
Tel. 01474 337600. Admission free to Milton Chantry.
Open Apr-Sep, SSu & BH 1200-1700. Fort Gardens open daily.
Pocahontas Statue, Gravesend