Set in extensive parkland and woodland, Stansted Park gives an insight into the social history of an
English Country House in its heyday. The House was rebuilt in 1903 after a disastrous fire destroyed the 1688 house.
The visitor route begins with the magnificent State Rooms containing fine furniture, textiles and paintings,
then continues 'below stairs' with a particularly well-planned tour of the fully furnished Servants' Quarters.
Regency Chapel with stained glass windows. Walled garden with yew maze. Arboretum. Tearoom and picnic area.
Open Easter-Sep, MTWSu 1300-1700, occasionally closed for functions - check website.
A 7¼" gauge railway in the grounds of Stansted Park.
Open Easter-Sep, Wed & Sat 1030-1600, weather and staff permitting.
It is a pleasant walk along the Monarch's Way path to Stansted Park. Initially gently uphill through ancient woodland, less than ½ mile from the station you reach level ground with a wide grassed avenue giving a distant view of the House. There are many paths through the coppiced woodland of Stansted Forest immediately north of the Monarch's Way.